iPad Air 2 wasn’t the only tablet introduced at yesterday’s Apple event, but the company has also announced iPad mini 3. Features, specs, pricing and release date detailed below!
With a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and with a number of other quirks, following the successful roll-out, Apple having allowed third-party developers to integrate the still-fledging hardware into their apps, iPad mini 3 users will certainly experience the same functionality as those on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Apple Pay online payments authentication via Touch ID is also supported.
Clocking at the same 7.5mm thin, iPad mini 3 design will be the same as its predecessor. However, it misses out the so-called “Retina HD” display and with the 2048 x 1536 resolution of the new smaller slate – identical to the official Retina iPad mini. Still be able to enjoy favorite games, apps and general iOS 8 joy in crisp, clear quality. Like the iPad Air 2, the display is now laminated and is now 56% less reflective.
Camera includes an 5-megapixel rear-facing, and a front-facing sensor “FaceTime HD” for video calling. Storage point of view, the third-generation iPad mini will launch with 16, 64 and 128GB storage options. Processor wise, it will be powered by its prior chipset. It still carries the same 64-bit A7 chip with M7 motion coprocessor from last year.
Since it doesn’t have NFC, it’ll be used for Apple Pay Within Apps. It runs on the latest iOS 8.1.
Apple iPad mini 3 Specs
- 7.9 inch Retina Display with 2048×1536 resolution at 326 ppi, Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- 7.5 mm thick, weighs 331 g (WiFi) / 341 g (WiFi + Cellular)
- A8 chip with 2nd gen 64-bit architecture and M8 motion coprocessor
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- 4G LTE (Optional), Wi?Fi (802.11a/?b/?g/?n); dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and MIMO, Bluetooth 4.0
- 5 MP iSight 1080p camera, f/2.4 aperture
- 1.2MP HD front-facing camera
- 16/64/128GB variants
- 23.8-watt-hour battery with up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video or listening to music
The new iPad mini 3 is available in three colors: Space Gray, Silver and Gold. Priced at $399 for the 16GB version, $499 for 64GB and $599 for the 128GB for WiFi. The WiFi + LTE variant costs $529, $629 and $729 for 16GB, 64GB and 128GB variants, respectively.
Pre-orders begin on October 17. The iPad mini 3 will launch next week on Friday, October 24th in the United States, United Kingdom, and several other nations before it rolling out to other markets thereafter.